Sunday, March 18, 2012

Remington Model 241

A few days ago I noted that Wayne F_________ told me that his uncle Carl F_________ had a Remington 241 he was wanting to sell.  I've been kinda interested in getting an example of the Browning SA22 for quite a long while.  I like the little short guns but let's face it, full-size guns are easier to shoot.  Anyway, I was told that this was an exceptional example but I thought I'd wait to pass judgement (in the form of exchanging money for gun, or not) until I'd gotten to see the firearm in question.

Yesterday Carl came by the shop to show me this and three other guns.

I'd like to note that Carl is a fine fellow.  A veteran of the Korean War as a member of the 187th Infantry Regiment (Rakkasans), Carl came home to the U.S. and had a career as an over-the-road truck driver.  He's been a lot of places and held his own with a lot of people and managed to keep body and soul together for over 80 years.  I like to think of him as a friend.  He also has and has had a wonderful knack for glomming on to some wonderful guns.

I wish I'd gotten a photo of the first gun he pulled out.  It was beautiful with about 98% condition, this was the nicest Colt New Service I've ever seen.  Chambered for the .45 Colt, Carl said that this would be one of the last guns he'd sell but he wanted to show me, just in case.  I think he's seeing the end of life approaching and wants to be prepared without coming out and saying so.  That sort of makes seeing and handling this treasure a real honor.  This was a later gun with the later version cylinder latch and checkered wood stocks.  It still had its original lanyard loop.  Made me think of Sergeant Preston of the Yukon!

He then took me out to his car to show me two rifles he had.  The first was an early M1 Carbine with the correct wood, sights and safety for early in the war and all original.  The cartouche was still visible as well.  VERY nice.  He also had a G33/40 rifle made in 1942.  This one had some of the wear one would expect from a rifle used in the rugged terrain where these units operated during WWII but the metal was in pretty good condition.

After looking at these play-pretties we got down to business on the rifle that had brought him to me in the first place.  A Remington 241 with some extras.  About 130,000 of the Model 24 and 24A guns were produced between 1922 and 1935 (some say to 1938). Then, coincidental with acquisition of Remington by Dupont, the 241 was designed as a product improvement and more than 107,000 of these were produced 1935 through 1951.  In redesigning the model 24 to the 241, the barrel quick release was moved to the side of the receiver and the parts were made slightly heavier (stronger) to handle the then new high speed ammunition.  This one is serial numbered 748__ (about 1947), has some really well-figured wood, a nifty Lyman receiver sight, the steel butt-plate, pistol grip cap and even an engine turned (jeweled) bolt.  I believe this would have been the Special grade gun with the sight.  Cost in 1940 would have been $42.15 for the gun and the Lyman sight would have been extra.  Just the rifle today would be $685 in our money or about the same as retail for the Browning .22 Auto.  The Lyman sights are often in the $100+ range.  This rifle being in excellent to fine condition, I'm very pleased to have it.



Of course it will go hunting, just like the 12CS and it might even take a turn at the metallic silhouette game.  I've shot it some more now and it will even function with the CCI .22 Quiet ammo!  Almost like having a silenced .22 and self-loading.  You can't beat that. 

No comments: