Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Remington Model 12CS


The Remington Model 12CS is chambered for the .22 Remington Special (Winchester Rimfire). Originally this model was designated "The New 22 Repeater" and did not have an actual model number assigned. The Model 12 was made from 1909 to 1936. It was first chambered for the .22 Remington Special cartridge in 1914. Designed by J. D. Pederson, approximately 832,000 guns were produced (in all chamberings). The grades offered were the 12A Basic Model, 12B Gallery Special, 12C Target, 12D Peerless, 12E Expert, 12F Premier, 12C N.R.A. Target Grades, 12CS, DS, ES, FS chambered for .22 Rem Special cartridges and quality of finish.

I acquired this example (apparently built in 1914) from a west coast collector who decided to move on to other collections. He remembered that I had expressed interest in the rifle when he got it. While I've never owned a Remington Model 12 before, it is really the cartridge and the tang sight that attracted me to this example.

Quite obviously the tang sight will help improve accuracy. It both doubles (or nearly so) the sight radius but I also find the aperture sight easier to use.

The cartridge is a whole other story. The .22 Winchester Rimfire was introduced with the Winchester 1890 rifle (a John Browning gun). It is interchangeable with the .22 Remington Special (which is how this rifle is marked). The big difference between this and other previous rimfire cartridges was the inside-lubricated bullet rather than the heel-type outside-lubricated bullet such as used in the .22 Long Rifle. The primary difference in the Winchester and Remington loadings is that Winchester had a flat-nosed bullet and Remington had a round-nosed bullet. Although it was declared obsolete after WWII, it seems to have made a comeback, mostly as a sub-load for .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire guns. CCI still produces the cartridge and there are large quantities of a recent special run by Winchester still out there. CCI's load offers a 45-grain JHP at 1,300 fps and Winchester's is a 45-grain, Lubaloy coated, flatpoint bullet loading at 1,300 fps.

I am most fortunate to have come into a large quantity of the Remington Special cartridges. This will likely feed the rifle for its entire life with me.

This particular rifle has another feature that is of interest. It is threaded for the Maxim silencer. Now called suppressors, in that halcyon age of practicality over hysterics, the silencer/suppressor was viewed for what it is, a practical method of reducing sound signature which might disturb neighbors or game. It has the added value of reducing hearing damage. I don't know how much that figured into the motivation to pay for such a thing, but it is certainly apropos today. Why this country has/persists in such a paranoid regard for suppressors can only be attributed to ignorant viewers of equally ignorant Hollywood films.

I'd like to find a "silencer" for my rifle but don't know if I will be able to. I think it would add immeasurably to the gun's usefulness in pest control. These are once again being made, for the US Maxim Silent Firearms Co. by Yankee Hill. I am still investigating as to whether or not Yankee Hill will thread their Maxims to the original 1/2"-20 thread.

As to handling characteristics, these rifles are not "boys" rifles but man-sized rimfire rifles. While compact and lively they don't have abbreviated butt-stocks. I think they are comfortable to shoot. I am excited to get this example and hope that it has a long life in this house.

Immediately after I picked up the rifle I took it out for some shooting. This baby is easy to hit with. It would be a great groundhog gun and a fantastic defender of the house garden with plenty of accuracy to head shoot rabbits and such. This is a wonderful firearm and I'm pleased as punch!

Links:
- Remington Model 12 variations 22 RF
- A Brief History of Remington Rifles and the Model 1
- What's with the WRF? It's back and it's still viable by Holt Bodinson
- Rimfire that wouldn't die: new ammunition from CCI sends the vintage .22 WRF back into the game fields by C. Rodney James
- On the Control of Silencers in the United States
- The Remington Society of America

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have a Remington 12c as well, that was made in 1913. My girlfriends Great uncle gave it to her. It also has the threaded end, no cap though for a silencer attachment. i always wondered how many of these were around. its by far one of the most accurate plinkers i have ever fired.

Anonymous said...

I have two Rem Model 12s. Great little plinkers. Would you ever consider selling your 12CS? Also looking for a couple of tang mounted sights for Model 12s if you know of any. Thanks much!

CopterRider@comcast.net

Unknown said...

I have a Remington .22 special Model CS. I tried loading the CCI .22 WRF rounds in it and it wont cycle and or fit in the chamber..... The case seems to big for the chamber. I was wondering What type of ammo would fit in it? It chamber normal .22LR rounds but is not a snug fit. So I have no idea what ammo could be used in it?

Hobie said...

I noticed with my rifle that the chamber has to be CLEAN. I've shot old .22 Rem Special, the limited edition Winchester .22 WRF, AND the CCI stuff you mention. All of it worked in a clean chamber. I did have problems if the chamber got a bit dirty. Clean the chamber out really well and try it. If it is a CS it is a WRF and it should chamber WRF ammo slick as glass.