Monday, November 17, 2003

Well, there were no deer seen today. However, I got there this evening and clearly they are in the area in the morning. Unfortunately, although there are a few rubs, it isn't yet the rut here and I've not seen any bucks at all. All deer seen, some probably more than once, are does. None have been seen at more than 90-100 yards, well within range of the .41 Remington Magnum Contender carbine.

In doing chores this morning I had to pass the public range and picked up several pounds of rifle brass. Mostly .243 Winchester and .30-30 with some .30-06 and .30 carbine. Undoubtedly, there are some similar rounds, possibly .260 or 7mm-08 Remington, as I didn't have a chance to actually sort through it on the range. About one third is in the vibratory polisher now.

This brings me to a related subject, the relative popularity of various rounds. Among the non-reloaders of the centerfire rounds #1 is clearly the .30-30, with .30-06 a close second followed by .270 Winchester, 7.62x39mm, .308 and .243 Winchester, and the .44 Remington Magnum. Also in the running is the .30 Carbine but I hesitate to include it as it is clearly being fired in "fun" guns as are HUGE quantities of .223/5.56mm ammo. While I've no need for the brass for reloading, now that I have a buyer for scrap brass I'll probably be picking every single case up for one use or the other.

Pistol rounds are represented by 9mm Luger/Parabellem, .40 S&W (police shooters practicing I think), .45 ACP, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .380 Auto, .45 GAP (Glock Auto Pistol), and even the .50 AE! I don't have any idea what I'd use them for, but I couldn't let those huge cases just sit there!

No comments: