Sunday, April 27, 2008

Another Cobra Finds a Home

However, this 1972 manufactured .38 Special gun has the later, cheaper, smooth grips but the gun was made before the underlug design. It is a good tight gun but the fit of the grips isn't so hot and there was some wear on the frame from, I think, an ill-fitting holster.

My original intent was to give this gun to my daughter who lives in northern Virginia. Reflection on her situation has given us pause. She has roommates. She doesn't have 100% control on who enters her home (an argument for I think, as well as against). She can't and won't get a concealed handgun permit (CHP). This means she'd have to leave the gun in the house. We're considering one of those finger combination activated gun safes that we could bolt to the floor under her bed. (Any comments on experience with those would be appreciated.) It may be that a steel framed gun would be better also, for recoil "control"/mitigation. She does like that D-frame grip.

My wife liked it, too. Of course they have no idea what the recoil would be like. Heaven forbid that we should have the time right now to do some shooting. Yes, that is another reason speaking against my daughter getting this gun even if she is competent at the 0-15 foot range at which this would be employed. I suppose I'll have to think on this some more.

No comments: