Saturday, September 18, 2004

I know that most people know how difficult it is to stop pursuing a hobby (an obsession, really) once you start. Of course, some people have no idea, more's the pity for them... Anyway, as a sub-obsession of shooting I really like the Remington Model 8 and 81 rifles. I've been wanting to collect them and mostly been able to avoid falling victim to my baser desires in this area. I did know that this could not last.

I've bid on a Remington Model 8 in .30 Remington on Gunbroker.com. My bid isn't all that high, $125 but follow the link and look at the gun. You'll be astonished!

Well, my thinking was that I could just do a little work to it and then have my second Model 8. My first
Model 8 was my dad's and before him, his dad's and before grandpa, his brother's! This rifle has been around in only 3 generations. Anyway, it is the rifle that is the source of the lusting after Model 8s and 81s and so I bid on this rifle that looks like crap. Of course, the seller has it listed as a .30-30 (?) and says it went on auction because it wouldn't chamber a round (a .30-30?) but I know it is really a .30 Remington of different shape and with a rimless case. I figure that I can get a new forearm from GunParts Corp., ammo from Buffalo Arms, reloading dies for CH4D, and maybe a peep sight somewhere along the way.


My First Model 8 in .35 Remington with Lyman Receiver Sight


Another thing I want to do is to convert it into a "trapper" with a 16" barrel. I know of somebody who has done that and I'd frankly like to copy his idea. I would then have the gun re-blued (why not?) and refinish the stock and forearm so that they match better than they probably would.

These guns are fun but hard to find at a price like this that allows one to play around with gunsmithing projects. I'm looking forward to this one.

No comments: