Sunday, March 26, 2006


My other major project is also .45 caliber related. A couple of months back I got a Ruger New Vaquero .45 Colt. Of course one has to be able to carry ammo for reloading if this is to be a viable field gun. A belt slide was ordered from Rob Leahy of Simply Rugged and it carries another 6 rounds. Is that enough? I don't think so. Another 6 rounds would be good.


Now I've long liked the MTM ammo wallets and I saw that they had a model which was sometimes touted as for the .45 Colt. I got and 18-round one which came with a "free" 6-round wallet. Unfortunately, the capacity of .45 Colt is half that stated as these are produced for the .45 ACP! Irritating.

The wallet on the left is modified, the wallet on the right is unmodified. As you can see in the photo there is a stop or web between the cartridge dividers. I just cut those out. However, the cartridges can't be stored in the wallet in the same orientation as is normal but only reversed.

It amazes me that there isn't a demand for MTM to make a wallet for the .45 Colt. I would think it would also work with the .44 and .38 WCF (.44-40 and .38-40) and .45 Schofield. Perhaps shooters of those guns just don't find the plastic wallets to be traditional enough. Well, I got the gun for practical purposes and the modified wallet fits those purposes. I'm going to convert the other as well! Frankly, if you want to shoot .45 ACP, use moon clips or magazine...

No comments: