Thursday, September 15, 2005

Got to go out squirrel hunting yesterday. Having been inside during the early morning I didn't realize how hot it would get. Wasn't quite in the mood as I like the crisp cold weather. Anyway, I got out there with the Marlin Mountie and put the stalk on several squirrels. Using a rifle this early in the season is certainly a challenge because you don't get to see the little fellows for long at all as they scamper behind leaves. When they get dowon on the ground you aren't going to be much luckier as all the ground cover is between you and them and they seem to have the ability to see THROUGH the ground cover while I can't.

Of course I really enjoyed getting this rifle out. I'm using Winchester PowerPoints and it is zeroed to be right on at 25 yards. However, the front big bead does limit range as the squirrel doesn't have to be too far out to have his entire head subtended by the bead. The rifle is a good solid "man's gun" but I sure do wish I'd had one when I was a kid! Mine was purchased used and was built in 1956. Good gun.

No comments: