Monday, September 19, 2005

This morning I went to the range to try a couple of different types of ammo in my 1956 M39A Mountie. I shot the Winchester PowerPoints as a control. Range was 25 yards.

The CCI CB shorts performed about as expected but surprised me by impacting just a bit above point of aim.

The REAL surprise was the Aguila SSS 60 gr. .22 LR ammo. 10 rounds and no tipping. IOW, they stabilized in the Marlin. Furthew, POI was just 1¼" high and about ½" to the right of POA for this rifle zeroed with the Winchester PP ammo.

Now, some of you might not be aware of this ammo. However, we've talked about the Super Colibri here before. The SSS is a 60gr Solid Point Lead Bullet. Velocity: 950fps. Energy: 120Ft-Lb. The biggest problem is that it often won't stabilize. Up until now, I'd found that none of my .22s would stabilize this ammo. I know several shooters who'd had custom barrels made for their Contenders just to use this ammo. Thus I was very happy to see that I now have a gun that can use this ammo. Don't know exactly what I'd use it for though...



It could really benefit from an SGB tool or Paco Tool. With an improved nose form such as the SGB it could be very effective on game as large as fox and, where permitted, housecats. This ammo is subsonic but it is NOT silent. While I don't have the necessary measuring equipment I think it fully as loud as the Winchester PP ammo.

No comments: