Thursday, January 09, 2003

No shooting this week although the weather has improved to above seasonal temps. That goes away tomorrow but I'll be working anyway...

Finally found a Uncle Mikes paddle holster for a 4" medium revolver (#2). This has the adjustable thumb snap. After several false starts in getting this adjusted correctly, it now is and won't come unsnapped with pressure from the gun against the strap. Interestingly, there are a couple of ways to adjust drop height and angle of the holster.

I'm using it for a Ruger Speed Six .357 Mag Dad bought in 1973. This was his first handgun and he was 47 (my current age)! I can't imagine going that long without a handgun. In any case it really swallows the gun and protects it while fitting it well. As you probably know this isn't always true. I purchased it from my local dealer for $35 including the 4.5% tax. Dad had a Hunter holster from 1973 but I am not very fond of it.

I also received some Leadheads .310" bullets today. Weighing 145 grains, gaschecked and with a nice broad flat meplat I intend to use these to create small game loads ahead of SR4759 for both the .30 Herrett and .30-30 TC barrels.

I've also been considering a couple of "new" cartridges for my next Contender barrel(s). The 6.5x50mmR and the .300/221R. I'm also trying to get a good elk/moose class cartridge other than my .45-70 such as the 9.3x62mm Mauser or 9.3x74R.

I'm also getting my 28 gauge DVH Contender barrel out for late season grouse, squirrel, etc. Hopefully, I'll be able to get out next week before the next snow!

No comments: