Thursday, November 08, 2007

A Must Read... A Fortunate Life by A. B. Facey

A Fortunate Life by A. B. Facey, ISBN 0-14-008167-4, was a gift to me from a thoughtful Australian friend, Bruce Scott. Written as he spoke, Mr. Facey tells of his life from 1894 to his wife's death in August 1976. He experienced quite a bit in his life and although he called it a fortunate life, his early years might be thought of as anything but fortunate. Yet, he overcame much to live a long and good life with his wife.

The book is an easy read, the story is fascinating, and I would have loved to have met and personally known Mr. Facey. You will too, after you read the book.

I have to say also that I was immediately put in mind of my grandfather, also a farmer much of his life, who was born in 1898, told in 1917 that he had only 6 months to live due to TB (discovered in his enlistment physical) and yet lived until 1974. It was another generation indeed. One to which hardships weren't disabling. I think that just maybe a few difficulties make life better appreciated.

No comments: