Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Ruger .45 Colt/.45 ACP New Model Flattop

The Ruger .45 Colt/.45 ACP New Model Flattop managed to find its way to the shop and into my truck.  At first blush it looks very good with fitting on par with the .44 Special FTs I have.  However, as I cocked the hammer I noticed a distinct grittiness.  The "gunfighter" faux ivory grips feel ok but I'll reserve judgement until later.  They do stand proud at the butt but very evenly so.  I may try the black grips that came on the .44 FTs, known as "cheese graters" to some, to see if the fit is any better.  I think it likely that I'm going to replace the stocks/grips on this gun simply to preserve the issue grips as they look as though they will stain or scratch easily.

The idea of a convertible gun is an old one.  In this instance, the price to me makes it a very attractive piece indeed.  In truth though, I seldom convert the guns I have.  I don't know quite why.  E.g. the USFA dome blue CCH SA has a .45 ACP cylinder and it has never even been in the gun. 

1 comment:

Paul Moreland said...

The only convertible I own is an Old Model Single Six. And I swap between the two cylinders depending on what I'm doing with the gun. Sometimes I just shoot LR in the Mag cylinder (horrors!) but usually swap out to the appropriate one. The idea of a multi-cylindered sixgun has intrigued me. It's about the only use I'd have for 45 ACP brass anymore, sure hate chasing down empties from a semiauto. Don't know if I'll ever manage to come up with an ACP cylinder for my 45 Vaquero or not. Only time will tell.

I look forward to hearing more about your experience with this sixgun.