Friday, March 13, 2009

Lipsey's Ruger Blackhawk Flattop .44 Special 5½"

As previously reported Lipsey's negotiated the long awaited production of New Model Flattop Blackhawks in .44 Special. To be produced in both the 5-1/2 and 4-5/8 inch barrel lengths it appears they've got some appeal. I'm not surprised. People have been making a living from converting both the old model .357s and the 50th Anniversary guns to .44 Special.

What I wanted was a 4-5/8" gun but that's not what was shipped to my dealer. he got a 5-1/2" gun. I took it anyway, a bird in hand and all that. I hope to get a 4-5/8" gun later and continue to bug him to bug Lipsey's to send it out.

These guns seem nicer than your average Blackhawk. Fit seems a bit better, finish is plain but good and the action seems smoother than most other recent Blackhawks I've handled. Certainly, it is far better than my Redhawk. I'm very pleased wit the quality of the revolver.

Ammo can be an iffy thing right now. Ammo of all kinds seems to be in short supply and quality performance ammunition for .44 Specials has always been an iffy thing to find at the local gun shop. I suggest you load for your gun. For me the load to use was always going to be the 250 gr. Keith bullet over some powder charge for about 900 fps. I've tried and will be using 7.5 gr. Unique for the near future. The bullets are from Mt. Baldy Bullet Company of Cody, Wyoming. Good bullets!

This load hasn't had an extensive workout yet. I haven't had a chance to chronograph it either. But, it seems to shoot well at 90 yards on my impromptu range at Mom's. It has a good record in other guns, too. I think I'll go with it for a while.

To carry this gun I felt an example of El Paso Saddlery's Tom Threepersons would be a good thing. So, a holster was ordered for the 5-1/2" gun. We'll see when it gets here!

This seems to be a great handgun with a lot of potential. I'm looking forward to giving it a good workout.

No comments: