Thursday, March 26, 2009

Rats, Lice and History

I read some odd books. I found this one at Mom's and at some point in time it made it's way to my house for me to read. My dear wife uncovered it in a pile of books in the "storage" room. The book? Rats, Lice, and History: Being a Study in Biography, Which, After Twelve Preliminary Chapters Indispensable for the Preparation of the Lay Reader, Deals With the Life History of Typhus Fever by Hans Zinsser.

It is a quirky book described in the linked Amazon review as a "delight". Yeah, right. It was a drawn out read at times. The author was attempting to be humorous about typhus and the effect it had on history. He falls short though as many or most readers will fail to grasp his extremely dry sense of humor. Certainly the title is accurate in that you must wade through 12 chapters to get to the meat of the subject. Frankly, it was like waiting 40 minutes for the perfectly cooked 4 oz. steak.

Can't complain though. I can read and there are more books out there!

No comments: