Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Gone hunting today...

Went out to Leading Ridge Road near Bradley Pond and had a great time. Saw no bear sign and no deer or deer sign but there were squirrels AND turkey AND GROUSE. I jumped FIVE, that's 5 grouse! I've not seen grouse up there for several years. My dad took me up there just after the area was clear cut back in the 1970s and Mike Mays and I hunted there before he retired. Yes, he killed a deer up above the pond. I used to see deer up there in the laurel thickets all the time. Nothing today. I also used to hunt grouse up there with our Golden Retriever, Belle (Queen's Golden Belle) after I got my driver's license in 1971. That means I've been hunting up there on my own for 41 years.

One thing this tramping around proved is that I'm out of shape. The rifle was heavy and my legs tired in no time at all. I need to work on that.

No comments: