Thursday, April 23, 2009

On early mornings and hunting...

Before you read my few poor words on the subject, go to Home on the Range and read Brigid's thoughts which begat mine...



Now that you've returned I can continue the "conversation"...

I think the key to real revelry in early rising is companionship. I used to get up a lot earlier and enjoy it more when I had a companion, dog or human, with whom to share the experience. Yes, sunrises can be beautiful in many ways, but alone one can't know that another sees and appreciates the view.

I have had to hunt to eat, at least for part of the month, and that will drive you and you can enjoy such "work" but it isn't the same. One is much more analytical about the whole experience. I know that I am constantly thinking about where the sun will strike me first. When it might first shine in my eyes blinding me in what direction or reflect off my glasses and give my position away. I find myself yearning for the warmth of those early rays of light. It is more like a military ambush than a recreational experience.

Now, I am aging. Not so old but I feel the changes. I see things differently. I stumble more. I miss the companions of former years more because now I am able to know their true worth. I have no hunting dog with which to share the ride or to watch as they go about their reconnaissance of the area. I don't hear the rustle of legs through grass or the sniffing or feel the vibrations of an eager tail beating the air. There is no one with whom to speak.

So, now, I rise a little later. I tarry over a hot breakfast a little longer. I drive to my chosen hunting "field" a little slower. I most often arrive after the sun has risen enough to ensure the wildlife has completed the daily shift change. I live in a different world.

No comments: