Friday, March 30, 2012

$640-MILLION Lottery

I thought this was interesting enough to post about.  The Mega-Millions lottery is up to $640,000,000 which is a lot of money to most of us.  It is apparently only about 80 some minutes of operations for the federal government.  That said it would pay for 3,000,000 cases of 5.56 ammo, buy my house 2700 times over, get get me a new pickup every day for the next 50 years or allow me gasoline sufficient to drive the old one almost 1,000,000 miles.  However, Odds of winning are about 5X "worse" than getting struck by lightning.  That hasn't stopped some people from going whole hog buying tickets.  Nana and I couldn't help ourselves and joined the fray.  I finally bought 2 tickets myself.  I needed help to do it correctly.  I never play the lottery.

So what will I do if I "win" (is winning really winning)?  I'll pay off all the immediate family's debts (except for your Great Aunt C_____ who has been irresponsibly profligate in her spending).  I'll buy a house near Arlington/Alexandria for Aunt Deanna to live in.  We'll put money away for your education.  I'll give at least 10% to charity and church (which would be something on the order of $46,000,000).  I think I'll be going hunting as well.  Unfortunately, I'd have to quit working and I'd probably need help with security hence I doubt that winning is winning.  Money is NOT everything.

No comments: