Sunday, July 08, 2012

Good cookies - Chocolate Jumbles

I like good cookies. They can be eaten singly for a quick snack, gobbled in bunches in lieu of cakes or pies and combined with ice cream. I lean towards chocolate chip, molasses and the sugar varieties. My grandma P was an all-around great cook and she had some cookies that I had to make. The recipe was fortunately saved and I'm going to share it with you. Try it, if you can get the ingredients, and I think you'll like them. We called them Chocolate Jumbles.

1 cup sugar
1 cup shortening
2 egg yolks
2 cup molasses
2 squares chocolate
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cloves
2 teaspoon soda
7 to 8 cup flour
½ cup hot water

Cream sugar and shortening. Stir in egg yolks, molasses, and chocolate, melted. Sift the cinnamon, cloves, and soda with the first few cups of flour and add alternately with the water. Continue adding flour up to the 7 or 8 cups to make a dough stiff enough to roll. Roll and cut with doughnut cutter. Bake on greased cookie sheet for 15 minutes at 375°. When cool, glaze with mixture of confectioners sugar and water.

No comments: