Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Have a Gun for Self-Defense?

If you have a gun for self-defense it is implicit that you have decided that killing somebody who attacks you or your family is better than being killed or allowing a family member to be killed or injured. You need to read this article from PBS. Will it prepare you for a fatal shooting? I don't think so.

Now, I'm no expert on this. Yes, I was in the Army for over 27 years. Yes, I was an infantryman. Yes, I have had my CHP for nearly 15 years. But, I've never killed anyone. I've never been seriously shot at.

My Army training makes me think that I can align the sights on a human being and pull the trigger. I really don't want to do that but I have decided that my life is worth more than just about anyone else who would threaten to take it.

Lawdog says to be prepared for the aftermath. Have a lawyer, know to keep your trap shut and call 911 first, not later. But none of these things address something you will absolutely have to live with your whole life afterwards, yourself.

There's a lot to think about, a lot more than which whiz-bang gun or cartridge to carry/use. Do it.

No comments: