Sunday, September 20, 2009

An interesting question

Was on the Ruger forum the other day and in a discussion of the Security Six it was mentioned that the Six-series had similar cylinder dimensions to the Colt Official Police (a ".41 caliber" frame). I just had to check it out...

ModelCylinder LengthCylinder Diameter
Smith and Wesson M19
1.625"
1.449"
Ruger Security Six
1.607"
1.501"
Colt Official Police
1.507"
1.552"

So the fattest cylinder is the Colt Official Police and the longest is Smith and Wesson Model 19. The Security Six cylinder is longer but smaller in diameter than the Colt OP. Does this mean anything? I don't think so. Materials and heat treating count for something as well. I don't think I'm going to change how I think of these guns in loading for them. In other words, I don't think I'm going to be putting .38-44 equivalent loads in the Official Police.

1 comment:

Pawpaw said...

I learned about that long Model 19 cylinder when I bought a good used Model 28. For years I had been loading a 180 grain lead bullet that shot extremely well in my Model 19. So, I dropped some in the Mod 28 and closed the cylinder. Locked it up tight as a bank vault. Thought I was going to have to get a crowbar to open it back up. It turns out that K-frame cylinders are longer than N-frame cylinders.

Who woulda thunk it?