Wednesday, September 30, 2009

More notes from the gun shop...

Ron White says you can't fix stupid...

We get them in the shop. I have favorites...

Customer says, "Hi, I want the best _____ (fill in the blank) you've got." I show it to him (almost inevitably). "Jeesus! I've only got $150 to spend." I show him the CHEAPEST ________ we've got. The script has options after this starting with "Ok, I'll take it" or "Do you have layaway?" and even the silent turn and exit out the door.

Had a fella who bought one of those fancy, gilded up Garands, to shoot. Couldn't open the action. Handed it to me. I opened it up to see what might be wrong. He was astonished. His son was with him. I suggested that he NOT give the old man any ammunition.

We get the wannabe (I'm hoping) "gangsta" types too. Had a fella come in the other day and ask to see a Glock. I pulled one out but this guy is on top of his game and corrects me pointing to the Hi Point he wanted. "No, THAT Glock." Ooooookay...

Gotta love the little old ladies (like my mom but still with most of their faculties) who come in to get a handgun for self-defense (concealed carry even). They talk with us, get the business cards for people providing the CHP training, and try several guns. Many if not most lack the strength to pull back a slide or pull a DA trigger (even on the Smith and Wessons) but some even haven't got enough strength to cock a revolver to use the SA trigger.

Worse yet? I had a 30-something without the strength or apparent coordination to operate ANY firearm I had. Of course she drove there and had plenty of time (as I apparently also did) to answer her cell phone 5 times during the time she was there. I guess she must have an automatic transmission and power steering as well as the light little cell phone.

There's a new one every time I go in...

1 comment:

David aka True Blue Sam said...

My mom (78 and under 110 pounds) can rack a .22 auto, but not many others. She loves to shoot .22 revolvers, and the only modification we have made is a Wolff trigger spring in her guns. After she was well practiced with her Single Six she bought a .45 Blackhawk, and now makes her own handloads for it. She just bought a Taurus 94 9 shot .22 revolver after trying one at GBR IV, and we will be changing the trigger spring in it the next time I visit. She loves to shoot, and is spreading the joy to her friends.