Saturday, October 10, 2009

What ammo to buy or load...

I've been noticing for several years now that many shooters buy "range" ammo and use specific ammo. Sometimes they call this "range" ammo, "blasting" ammo. There are variations on the theme but a good example is this glut of 130 gr. FMJ .38 Special stuff when most thinking people load their "carry" or "bedside" gun with some sort of +P hollowpoint. They seem to do the same sort of thing with their AR-15s and mil-surp guns.

For my own part, I tend to buy or, more likely, load ammo for "using" or practice the same. I don't have "range" ammo much less "blasting" ammo. I want all my ammo to be usable. I want my practice to be with the ammo I use (for hunting, self-defense, etc...). I do this because it hits to the same point of aim, because a problem with it will more likely become apparent the more it is shot, because I don't want to spend money on something that is only good for the range, because I don't want to have to sort through my ammo to find something useful when I need it right now.

I've tried to feel out the customers at the shop where I work. Most don't reload. They buy the high dollar stuff for hunting or self-defense but will "practice" with just about anything, price being the deciding factor even if the point of impact will vary widely from their "using" ammo.

I can see the idea of "plinking" ammo that is cheaper to buy or produce that duplicates the exterior ballistics of the "using" ammo. However, if it fails to shoot to point of aim at all ranges at which the particular firearm will be used, it seems a waste of time shooting and of money. The thing is that "plinking" ammo (probably much more apropos to .22 LR than anything else) isn't as useful in a pinch as the "real" thing.

2 comments:

David aka True Blue Sam said...

I began buying white box Winchester .38's because i did not have sufficient hand loads available for a range trip with some new shooters. I found that it groups well, and the brass will be reloaded, so I don't feel guilty about it. I have been shooting reloads for thirty years in every gun except my SKS. I like to stick to my pet loads, because changing ammo means readjusting the sights for precise shooting.

Zane D. Clark said...

I agree and load my own. I have very little factory ammo and contend that if I have components I have ammo that I can make.
zane