Sunday, January 30, 2011

Lewis Grizzard

I've been reading Lewis Grizzard's book, "When My Love Returns From The Ladies Room, Will I Be Too Old to Care?" Some time past, Nana or I bought it for $.25. I don't know why. Back in 1987 or so when it was published I didn't care much for Mr. Grizzard. As he writes, one's outlook does change as one ages. His book reads well for me now. It ought to. His observations are pretty much mine and, I think, they are the observations of a man of a certain age.

I feel pretty blessed. For one thing, I've lived past the age of 50, Mr. Grizzard didn't. I've had only two wives and the second has stuck with me. (I'm not sure why though and I'm hesitant to open up that can o'worms and find out.) I've lived a lot of places and met a lot of people and just enough were bad enough I know a bad person when I meet one but I haven't had to live around or with bad people much at all. In other words, most were pretty nice, perhaps nicer than they needed to be to me.

I have three kids. One will talk to me, another has my grandkids and the third is alive. I love them all and I hope they know it.

As I said, I was just in the reading room reading Mr. Grizzard's book and it made me think a bit and that those thoughts were important enough to type up. Here they are. I might have to reconsider.

No comments: