Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Hunting, of sorts, continues...

Where Grandpa was hunting today
Went out to Mom's to hunt today.  I thought the rain was tapering off, and it had since early morning, but as soon as I was about half way across the pasture it picked right up.  Made it nice and quite and nobody else was in the woods.  Walked right up on several squirrels which were out on the ground.  Found a new rub.  I have heard that the rut is over and the males are in their hidey holes but it seems a couple are out and moving about looking for their lady love.  Unfortunately, I didn't see a one, not even a doe today.  Just got wet.  Then...

Came home to find Nana insistent on taking a couple of dead limbs out of one of the maples by the parking area.  Sigh.  Got out the pole saw.  Moved the truck to where I could get a good angle by standing on the tailgate and still not drop the limb, about 200+ lbs total, on the truck.  Dropped it on the neighbors fence instead.  Took out two rails.  This despite trying to saw it such that it would fold down and miss the fence.  Apparently Murphy was helping today.  Cleaned that up and then started on the other one.  Got a rope on this one from the get go so that we'd have some control.  Made Nana hold the rope so that it would be clear of the saw.  It took about 25 minutes of sawing to cut through that limb.  I am not in shape to do this.  Nana was not happy about standing in the parking space holding the rope.  Got that down and in the back of the truck.  I'll take it out to Mom's tomorrow when I go out to hunt.

No comments: